Puffed rice chivda is a great snack to make ahead of time and store in air-tight containers. This is a savory version with just a hint of sweetness.
If you’re looking for some last minute Diwali recipes, then this puffed rice chivda definitely fits the bill! Here’s another snack you can try for Diwali – savory diamond cuts (tukdi).
Here’s the recipe – to be honest, I pretty much eyeballed the measurements. 🙂
- 2 to 3 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 2 to 3 tbsp roasted chana daal
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted cashews (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- pinch of
- 4 to 5 cups puffed rice
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ to 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 tsp oil
- ½ to 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- In a wide bottom pan, heat the oil. Add items listed under seasoning one by one.
- Saute everything on a medium-low flame until the chana and peanuts change color. I used roasted peanuts, so they cooked faster. Make sure not to burn the seasoning, so keep stirring frequently.
- Add turmeric & chili powder. Mix well.
- Add the puffed rice, salt and sugar and mix well.
- Saute everything until the puffed rice is crisp and crunchy. This should take about 3 to 5 minutes depending on the amount of puffed rice and it's freshness.
- Once done, let cool and store in air-tight containers.
Your savory puffed rice chivda is ready in no time! Make sure to mix well before digging in as the mustard, cumin tend to settle down at the bottom.